Monday, May 31, 2010

So...

I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror. As I gazed at my reflection, I realized that the face looking back at me wasn't my own.

That man in the mirror couldn't have been me. His face was haggard and drawn. Deep shadows nested beneath his weary, tired eyes. The man, himself, seemed but a shadow, an afterimage of a human being.

It' couldn't... Couldn't have been me.

This is my poetic way of telling you that this has been a REALLY crappy month and, to top it off, I look like shit.

As I mentioned before my "brief" sojourn, Susan, my lovely wife, is pregnant.

Do you know what's really freaking scary? Blood.

Not my blood. No, sir. That shit I'm used to. I fall down and cut myself and blood comes out.

That's the way of things.

I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've woken up covered in blood without having to kill you when I was finished.

It's a vicious cycle, really.

No, I'm talking about blood coming out of my pregnant wife.

Yeah.

You might think you're tough. You might think that there is very little left in the world that can phase you.

Not so much.

The exact second your pregnant wife starts bleeding, you will be reduced to a pathetic child, a senseless thing capable only of wringing your fists at the sky.

Shortly after my last post, Susan saw a little bit of blood.

Hospital. Doctor. Ultrasound. Everything okay.

Good.

Two weeks later, Susan saw a lot of blood.

Hospital. Doctor. Ultrasound. Everything okay.

Good.

One week after that, Susan saw A LOT of blood.

Hospital. Doctor. Ultrasound. Everything okay.

Good.

Oh... And I had a nervous breakdown every time.

Good.

I have spent the past month trying to prepare my wife (and myself) for terrible, horrible news. Luckily, that news never, ever came, but it's effects were still severe.

Sleep was a luxury. I played more games than even I thought was healthy because I couldn't sleep unless I was exhausted.

I had to sell a lot of my games to cover medical bills. That shit ain't cheap, but apparently telling your wife that we can find out for free in 7-8 months doesn't go over as well as one might expect.

There may or may not have been groin punching.

Between all of the bills and then the lost work while we dealt with the problems, things have been pretty bad around here.

All in all, this has been a really bad month.

I know I haven't updated and I do apologize for that. There have been a lot of interesting things going on, but it's kind of hard to be funny when you're just waiting for the sword to drop.

Honestly, I was quite certain that my next post here would have been explaining how we had lost the baby.

I'm happy to say that won't be happening. Susan had another appointment this morning and everything is looking good. We should, theoretically, be out of the woods for a while.

Theoretically.

Bear with me while I get back into the swing of things. I have many funny things to write about and many more not funny things that I will write about anyway.

And you'll like it dammit.

30 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well I'm glad to hear that the baby is ok. I'm not a father yet but one day I intend to be. And I know how knowing even the slightest thing going wrong with someone you care about can make you panic. At least we know you're alive now! :)

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Throwing a small donation your way. If there's ever a time to donate, now's it and IMO, you've earned it with all the hours of entertainment you've given us.

Sorry it can't be more.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Best hopes go out to the baby and both you and Susan's health. Keep playing those game when left in doubt to pass time but, for the love of god, sleep when given the chance.

Best wishes..

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I really hope Susan and you and the baby will be okay! Glad to hear that it is ok for now =)

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger TheAnaconda said...

hey long as we know you havent died in a freak chicken attack, whatever you wish to post is fine with us

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I am glad to hear that everything seems good now and wish you the best of luck!

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My thoughts and prayers are with all of your family (present and future) for continued health!

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Apology COMPLETELY unnecessary. We all look forward to the resumption of your excellent posts but there are more important things. Wishing the best for you.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Nathan said...

Sent a little donation your way, man. Good to hear you're all right, that Susan's all right and that the baby's doing well. Hope your daughter is all right.

Good thoughts, good thoughts...

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Kulaudo said...

We WILL like it, damnit.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Zamaron said...

My wife and I lost two pregnancies back to back and were told to not expect success from the third. Thankfully we now have our little girl Aayla (after the jedi of course). I know how scared you must be feeling, but hopefully things will turn out well for you like it did for us. Pretty soon you'll have another kid to level your alts in XIV.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Rachelle said...

Sorry things are so sucky on your end. :( Keep on keeping on.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

Most important thing is your family. Best wishes to all of you!

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Salt said...

Hang in there.

Hopes everything turns out OK.

:|

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Pirre said...

Good luck to you and Susan, Dave.
Let's hope everything goes well from here on.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Marcelo said...

I hope everything turns out ok!

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger zero said...

i'm relieved to hear things are turning out alright, Dave! It sure sounded scary!

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger tyranastrasz said...

And you'll like it dammit.

I'm sure I will. You managed to get a few laughs out of me in a news post about potential miscarriage, that's impressive all by itself and I salute you. o7

I'll be sending you a donation as well. You deserve it after all the laughs you've given me over the last few years, and God knows you need the money more than I do. Selling off your games, man, that's harsh.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

never donated to you before (though i've thought about it, and then thought about mediterranean chicken, and well..) But if ever there was a time to donate to you, now would be it. and so you shall recieve.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Warewulf said...

It's great to hear from you again, if nothing else. My best wishes for you, Susan and the baby. I truly hope things calm down for you soon. Not for the sake of you coming back here, but for the sake of your family's health.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Meeka said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. Glad to hear everyone is doing ok and I hope the rest of the pregnancy goes smooth. We look forward to more posts when things have calmed down for you :)

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Irakuu said...

youll definitley get through it.

if it makes you feel any better, i spent 5 hours last night reading your blogs, and another 4-6 after i got back from my GED testing

and i miss your ffxi blogs. they were so funny.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

I am happy to read that your wife and future child are still healthy. Blood is frightening when it could mean something so dire. May things turn out well and remember: you can always make it up to us with adorable baby pictures!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger CidBahamut said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger CidBahamut said...

There have been a lot of interesting things going on, but it's kind of hard to be funny when you're just waiting for the sword to drop.

It's ok Dave. We all know camping Fafnir sucks.

Seriously though, good luck dealing with the second kid once it arrives. I can't imagine how you'll survive two kids and Susan but we all know you'll pull through.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Like several others here, I've never donated before, but now is the time and you need it more than ever. Know that our good [thoughts] [wishes] [prayers] (select 1 or more as appropriate) are with you and will continue to be.

And hopefully to make you smile - a friend of mine just got a job as a GM for a different MMO, and I asked if she was going to be a GM like [GM]Dave - she didn't know what I meant (despite having played FFXI for years) so I linked her here. Within 5 minutes I got back, "I think I'm in love. Seriously, Dave may replace [boyfriend's name here] in my heart. I'm totally going to be like this at my new job." See? You're inspiring a new generation of GMs!

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger The Artist's Way said...

Shit. Now I feel a little guilty that I was one of the commenters prodding for a new post.

Glad all is well, and I'm keeping you in my thoughts. Can't donate yet, but hope to when I get my check.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger TigerTrance said...

I wish you and Susan the best. Hoping you won't have to deal with any more scares!

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I don't know if will make you feel any better but the exact same thing happened to me with this pregnancy (strangely enough it is also my second child.) Bleeding, hospital, fine x6 weeks. It was awful, I totally empathize. Fortunately, the baby and I are doing well and everything seems to be normal. Children, right? I'm due Jan. 1st =] Not sure how close that is to Susan's due date. Wishing you guys well - Amanda

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger BB. said...

These things should be discussed
call girls London

 

Post a Comment

<< Home