Monday, June 14, 2010

One Step Forward...

It wouldn't be a lie to say that I spend a fair amount of my time defending gamers.

Given the generally negative stereotypes applied to my people, I find myself constantly quoting statistics and figures about how gaming culture has grown over time and entered the mainstream. We are no longer those basement dwelling social outcasts that we were long thought to be.

Have you seen a console launch lately? Have you seen droves and droves of people ready to gut their fellow man just to be the first person to call someone a &%@ing Noob on a brand new system?

That shit is mainstream, son.

We are legion. We are many.

Yet despite this new acceptance of our culture, the general population smirks at us, their self-righteous smile visible above their American Eagle popped collar.

For some reason I can't understand, it is socially more acceptable to play extreme frisbee or beer pong than it is to play some Halo.

Seriously.

Now, this post is not another defense of my people. Since you are reading this, you're probably one of my people, so I'd be preaching to the converted.

No, this post is about WHY they think that about us.

It has nothing to do with the games or the systems. It has nothing to do with news stories or media depictions.

It has nothing to do with you.

It's this guy.

Yup, that guy is the exact reason why everyone in the entire world looks down on gamers.

He is the very essence of their argument. He is the embodiment of everything they laugh at when they hear the word "gamer".

This man... This man is why we suffer. This man is the reason that girls look at you funny when you tell them you play video games.

Yes, you know what look I mean. That first time you were on a date with a girl you liked. You're laughing and having fun and she asked what you like to do. You said video games. Then, you watched as her face started to curl into a look of disgust. You might have just told her you molest baby kittens for the sheer revulsion you saw in her eyes.

Yeah, totally that guy's fault.

And there's nothing you can do. No amount of Professional Gaming Leagues or celebrity endorsements will stop the damage he has caused our culture.

He weeps for his WoW account.

I weep for our people.

14 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Um.. you know that video is faked, right?

Or maybe I'm missing something in your post, sorry.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Sparf said...

Hey, at least, by and large, gamers aren't the Internet's favorite punching bag. They have other harmless groups for that.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Sparf said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Irakuu said...

he looks pretty upset...
pretty upset.

i laughed the whole time especially when he raged and started hitting his head with a mouse..
A FUCKING MOUSE!?!?
what the fuck man

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Fake or not,
why would anyone post that crap on youtube about a hacked WoW account.

Although...

i'd love to see a video like that about a 5 year veteran of FFXI get hacked..

oops, my evil is showing.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Edwin said...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?client=mv-google&v=qAQ1IO1Ireg

This is the perfect response to Gamer = Nerd

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

couldnt agree with you more dave. i game, a lot, but i also skteboard, snowboard, rock climb, mountain bike, ect, ect, ect. and i get looked at like im a shutin when i say im not going to the bar, but going to get my game on.

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Curtis said...

Though that video is fake I completely agree with how his depiction of the fat nerd living in his parents basement playing WoW is indeed how the world views us.

It's a real shame... I wanted to hit my head with my keyboard and made my friends promise me if I ever become like that to take a rifle and shoot me in the head.

Oh well though, lets just how one day we can actually be accepted.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Lenwe said...

I like to got othe bar and clubs with my friends. I even make it a point to go to the gym twice a week. When I tell my friends I cant make it for happy hour after work because I wanna play RDR or jump on some FFXI I get the strangest looks. I am Gamer, hear me play.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Music-chan said...

I've been linked to this guy before and I was told he does the videos with the completely sterotypical gamer as farce.

I haven't watched one all the way through because, well, I don't really care that much about gamer farce. But whatever floats his boat.

I mean, everything is planned, down to the posters he has displayed on the walls. I'm sure other gamers find it funny (at least those who know it's suppose to be humor) but it's just not my thing.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Salt said...

I'm not from the US.

But I'm getting the impression that the trick make some activity "cool" in the US, is to convince nubile young blonde girls to take up said activity as a hobby.

Then suddenly it's "cool". :P

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Am said...

"For some reason I can't understand, it is socially more acceptable to play extreme frisbee or beer pong than it is to play some Halo." I can't breathe... laughing too hard... so true. Why does it have to be true...

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger youdi chen said...

May God help all that are following him to take their eyes off of man and focus on the Lord. The bible clearly says in Acts 1:7-“It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority."
Power Beats
Monster iBeats
Monster Beats Pro
Monster In-Ear0
Diddy Beats o
Lady Gaga Heartbeats
Monster Beats Studio
Beats Studio Cheap
Monster Solo I pray for all of them that they will follow the scripture and interpretation of the scripture as the HOLY SPIRIT reveals it to them instead of as Harold Camping reveals it to them. ##

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger adam bolger said...


Terima kasih atas artikelnya, semoga sukses selalu

Agen Judi Bola, Situs Bola Online, Bandar Judi Bola, Bandar Taruhan Bola, Situs Taruhan Bola, Prediksi Bola Akurat

i'm so proud read your post. it's really really great....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home